Saturday, October 6, 2007

Whose Gonna Ride Those WIld Horses.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Horses on the way to Pyongyong Tso in Ladakh.

The vast open valley floors in Ladakh you can still find some nomads and their flocks of yaks but there are also places where Wild Horses, Kyang are also seen routinely, specially on the trek to Tso Moriri & also in the Changthang High Plateau

If you are lucky you may pass some flocks while you go on the normal tourist trail to Pyongyong Tso but these horses are not wild but belong to the Nomads who flit from grazing grounds in search of fodder.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so awesome and loved it.

Jyoti said...

Lovely, lovely image ... I wonder if "wild" horses can still be found in jungles/ grasslands/praries /mountains ... But even when domesticated, if they live in the natural-type habitat like this, I guess it's alright! I would love to take a trip like this ... ahh thats daydreaming!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
indicaspecies said...

I've passed by this area on my way to Pangong Tso in July this year. I have some pictures of a flock of sheep grazing - yet to put up a posting on my blog. It's an awesome place and your picture of the wild horses is fabulous.

Did you know the nomads of that area are called Changpas? When did you visit Pangong Lake?

The Wandering Hermit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wandering Hermit said...

Jyoti
Yes you do see wild horses in Zanskar they are also Kyangs which are like wild asses /mules.
I will post of pic of a herd of Kyang soon.

indicaspecies: Oh I have been to Pyongyong Tso 3 times every trip to Leh somehow I get to go to Pyongyong everytime. The colors of shades of azure draw me there and it is interesting to see the changes taking place there. I see more people, more cars and jeeps, more army boats polluting the water..

Oh yes I know about changpas. In 2000 I stayed with a nomadic family near Tso Moriri for 5 days & then continued on to Tso Khar and did extentsive trekking in the nearby region for nearly a month.

I simply love Leh & Ladakh it draws me back, haunts me when I am not there.. I have other posts on Ladakh on my main blog do check them out.
Thanks for commenting.
cheers

indicaspecies said...

I know the feeling. I feel one trip to Leh Ladakh is not sufficient. It's the only place I've felt I should go again and again, and I will!

When is your next trip?

The Wandering Hermit said...

the next trip I want to do the Chadar Trek this year but don't know if I can make it..
Fingers Crossed.

Unknown said...

The horses in your snap are just too beautiful... exactly the way they are.. grazing in the middle of nowhere.. i remember havin seen these horses when i had gone to pangong in sept 07.. they looked like this.. wild.. and free and beautiful.. my snaps are not as good though..
am planning to go bak once again in aug this year.. i wanna cycle out there( as far as possibl).. knw anyone whoes planning to go there in sept this year??