Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bhagirathi - I (6512 mtrs)


Bhagirathi I is the farthest peak of the Bhagirathi Sisters group one of the many mountains which make up the Gangotri Group. Though many attempts and routes are tried on the formidable & difficult West Buttress of Bhagirathi III (The rib of the buttress can be seen in these 2 shots), Bhagirathi I has received scant attention.

Routes & Main Ascents:

It was only in 1990 that a Japanese Expedition using nearly 2000 mtrs of rope made the first ascent via its Southeast Ridge.

A small team of Alpinists from Britain made a fine Alpine Style ascent in 1983 via its West Ridge, which gave them some excellent granite but tricky snow climbing. Martin Moran , Charlie Heard & John Mothersdale made the summit in a fine effort without roping up the mountain or fancy ironmongery.. But sadly during the descent Heard fell to his death.
Since then there have been other attempts amongst them some Indian Teams.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ur pics speak thousand words.

Pria

The Wandering Hermit said...

Thanks Pria..
Appreciate the thumbs up..
cheers
z

My Unfinished Life said...

nice pics!!!!...

The Wandering Hermit said...

Thanks Aparna & Shooting Star.

The Wandering Hermit said...

Aparna: Well I prefer the black ground to anyother..

Usually the text is white or grey so shouldn't be a problem..
Only this pic is odd and small sized as the original is quite big and flickr is finicky about sizes so this once gotta bear it.. All others are atleast 400 px.. or larger.. If you want to see the original versions you can email me and I can forward a copy if you want.
cheers