Monday, March 10, 2008

Meru turns golden during sunrise

Mt. Meru'su 6672m
North WALL turns golden during sunrise

Meru peak is situated in the center of Gangotri glacier in Garhwal Himalayas between the famous Shivling & Thalay Sagar, and opposite as well famous group of Bhagirathi Peaks. In fact Meru peak itself doesn't need to be introduced in the alpinist world. It's steep walls have long ago become the testing area for realization of the mountaineering ambitions of the world most famous climbers. And if the main massif summit - the Southern (6,600m) - and the Northern (6,450), are already climbed,

The Central Pillar is known as the Shark's Fin and had defeated all comers including some of the leading aces in today's Climbing fraternity..

Each year since 1987 at least one expedition had tried to get up but to no avail constant rockfall and sweeping overhangs presented formidable odds on this route (over 20 expeditions have failed on this route, last year 4 more tried only 1 succeeded)

The route was finally climbed by the Ace Alpinist Valery Babanov
(though controversy remains whether he climbed the pillar direct or took a sideline to get to the top of the climb )and got him shortlisted for the Piolet D' Or for this amazing solo climb in 2001. He beat a strong team of Doug Chabot, Bruce Miller & Conrad Anker who were also on the mountain that time.

Last year another Australian Expedition also managed to complete this route via the west face Two members achieved new world record for altitude base-jumping in bat suits... . The leader Dr Glen Singleman with Heather Swan leapt down wearing wing-suits from a ledge at 6604 m.(They will do another jump in 2008 this time from Shivling in the Garhwal Himalayas)

In Hindu Mythology Meru is the name of the mountain on which the Gods Live.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Im seeing some great mountain pictures latley. I wish I had some here. They are great to photograph.

indicaspecies said...

A post full of interesting information. I've planned to explore a part of the Garhwal region this summer.

Your photograph is fabulous.

The Wandering Hermit said...

Thanks Mike.

Indicaspecies: Garhwal is one of my fav places it has a lot of places worth visiting.. small towms like Auli, Munsiyari, Bedni Bugyal, Ali Bugyal, Chopta, Binsar and if you're into trekking them some fabulous treks Roopkund, Valley of Flowers, Kalindi Khal, Hampta Pass, Milam Glacier Trek to name a few of the must do's..

I try and return there as often as I can (one of the advantages of living in Delhi that the big mountains are just a day's drive away)..
cheers

indicaspecies said...

I saw this comment now.

I've trekked before in Sikkim, and parts of Ladakh and Karnataka. Can manage with fair grades of treks (not those strenous types as I am still recovering from a ligament problem I had). This time wish to make it to VoF, and try to include other places.

Thank you for the information on Garhwal, I'll be noting it down. :)