(excerpt from my diary)
As the evening gets on I start walking towards a viewpoint overlooking the village., the mountainside behind turns deep golden in this light, and very large. I climb the the nearest ridge one from which I hope to see the sun set over the whole area of Ladakh. It is steep, and I pause several times to take a drink from my water bottle, the weight of the camera and the tripod slowing me down even more and I feel the aftereffects of a day spent trekking in this rugged landscape under a hot sun. At last I reach the top a few minutes before sunset. The day is still very warm.
Far below me to the left are a few squares of harvest-ripe yellow barley and a crescent-shaped pool, and to the far right the dunes stretch out towards the Buddhist grottoes.
In front, the world lies undulating in fantastic ridges and stratas reflecting the tumultuous history of formation... Centuries compressed in stone. silents sentinels to history
The valley floor is dark green and gold, the few stringy poplars and corn fields ending abruptly in the distance, where the sand and stony plains of the Changthang take over. The gorged waters of the River look thin and innocuous from this distance. The electric lights come on Over and shimmer through the levels of cooling air. It is quite still
Above, the sky, marked with a few residual clouds, changes to a deep red, and the sun sinks over the vague horizon of the desert. For a few minutes afterwards, the underside of the clouds reflects a sun already invisible, and by a strange tilt of light the sky actually appears to become brighter and in a majestic moment lights up only the mountains opposite.. I am transfixed.. it looks like liquid gold...
Then the angle changes, the clouds turn grey, and above me is a sky of deep indigo. In this desert night the Milky Way is brilliantly clear.
Corbett National Park, INDIA, 2016
9 years ago


8 comments:
AMAZING!!!!!
Brilliant shot of a fascinating wilderness! the colors are mindblowing!
thnks jyoti
BTW are you on flickr??
Hi Zofo, I'm not on flickr.
Long back in April, 2007 ... we had organized a North American photobloggers meet-up in Chicago ... and I was one of the organizers ... All members were supposed to upload the photos of the event on flick ... that could be viewd by the entire group ... so in april/may 2007 ... I did post some photos on flick ...
BUT since then I have not logged on flickr... In fact I'm not even aware if my account exists ...
Any particular reason for this question about flickr ...
no there are some people on flickr whose phtotography i thought you would like
Sometimes I do browse through flickr and also photo.net images ... but never get "involved" as in checking out on a regular basis or leaving comments ... just browse, sometimes get inspired, or just forget ...
You say it so perfectly. Your writing is of such a consistently high quality. You remain one of my favorite blogs in the sphere.
thanks elize.. glad you could drop by... appreciate it..
cheers
z
Post a Comment